On the hill overlooking the town of Oreoi in North Evia, we can find the remains of the Castle of Oreoi. According to the myth, the hill is manmade, and was the work of thousands of workers bringing earth to this area. They had left two secret underground passages leading to the castle that were impossible to be found by the enemy. They themselves couldn’t locate the passages at night.
The excavations in the area of the hill have shown that here we can find one of two Acropoleis that existed in Oreoi in the 4th century B.C. That was the time of prosperity in the area and it was the cultural center of North Evia, while also being one of the most well known centers in Ancient Greece. The castle was rebuilt during the Venetian rule in the early 1200s. It became even more well known after 1275, when it was seized by the Karistian knight Likario who used it as a base of operations against the Franks.
Today the visitor can only get an idea of the grandeur of this castle since it is neglected and deserted. Only partly saved pieces of the fort are visible at a height of 2,5m.apart from that, the view from this hill is exquisite view of the town of Oreoi.