Blessed by nature, the island of Evia and North Evia make up an important destination for holidays and relaxation. Besides the holidays, the area allows us to see the archeological riches that it has but also the surrounding sea. The monasteries are also of great significance and offer great interest to religious tourism; as well, important are the museums scattered in several towns in the area.
The church of Saint John the Russian can be found at Prokopi and is dedicated to this saint. A vast number of worshipers flock here daily to visit the relic of Saint John the Russian.
St. John was born in Russia in 1690. When in 1711 war broke out against Turkey, a soldier then, St. John was enslaved and taken back to his hometown of Prokopi in Asia Minor. Eventhough he was tortured constantly in order to change faith, his virtuous nature made his master sympathetic of him and allow him to be free to practice his faith. His tasks include caring for the animals which he did with lots of love.
The chapel of the Virgin Mary at Dinious is a significant monument and there you can see the miraculous religious painting of the Virgin Mary.
The painting, which has the inscription “Holy Lady the merciful”, is believed to have been painted in the “hagiography” style during the 11th century and may have been enriched over its original painting in the 14th or 16th century, the facts are not quite clear.
The Monastery of Saint Irene Chrysovalanto is an adjacent monastery to that of Saint George at Ilia Monastery and is situated above the Metropolitan camp between theNorth Evia villages of Rovies and Ilia and overlooks the gulf of Evia and the evergreen forest of Valantio. It’s worth visiting and it attracts tourists from all over Greece as its two inner chapels celebrate on the 6th May (St. Onoufrio) and on the 12th June (St. Job).
This Monastery, whose history goes back centuries, is a significant monument in the area of North Evia, but also for the whole of the island of Evia. This monastery was moved to its present position from Aidipsos and is of exquisite natural beauty. It attracts tourists from all over Greece who come during their summer holidays since it was mentioned by visitors of the 19th century who spoke about relics belonging to the Oracle of Apollon who was mentioned by the philosopher and geographer Stravon in 445 BC. The exact date of construction is not known.
This Monastery, standing on a cliffside 200 meters above the sea, as if to welcome visitors to North Evia and to gaze at neighboring Viotia across the gulf, is a significant monument in the area of North Evia, but also for the whole of the island of Evia and Greece. This monastery is dedicated to Saint Nikolas, protector of the sea and in part to Poseiden, offers exquisite natural beauty and attracts tourists from all over Greece who come during their summer holidays.
This Monastery, standing at the foot of the mountains of “Kavalaris” and “Xiron Oros” and looking out onto the village of Drimona is a significant monument in the area of North Evia, but also for the whole of the island of Evia and Greece. This monastery is dedicated to Saint David and the Metamorphosis of our Saviour.
It is positioned so that it is protected by winds from all directions but not necessarily by the snow in the cold winter months. Nevertheless it attracts visitors and pilgrims from all over Greece and abroad throughout the year and welcomes everyone with a sweet “loukoumi” and a warm cup of mountain tea or Greek coffee.
The archeological collection is situated on the entresol of the Hydrotherapy center of the Greek Tourism Agency. Many of the bigger exhibits can be found in the receiving area, on the main floor. In the entrance of the building there are two signed pedestals for the local authorities of Roman Evia.
The Museum of Marine Findings “Nautilus” was created with intent to offer the natural beauty, the knowledge as well as increasing the sensitivity of the visitor toward protecting his environment.
This is the grandest cast horse statue with a rider that has been saved since antiquity. It was retracted in pieces from an ancient shipwreck and has been supplemented at the tail and center.
This is one of the most beautiful but also of the fewest, unique bronze statues of the classical period. It is a cast piece of art, in supernatural size and depicts either Zeus or Poseidon. This God is represented standing, nude and in wide stride. Although the form is strictly presented, the motion and rendition of the bodily details is quite successful. The God’s beard is full and the hair is full, long and pulled back in braids around the head while in front his locks are loose around the forehead.
In the village of Gouves, we can find the well known Tower of Gouves, which later became the property of the famous Greek poet Georgios Drosini. The property is dated back to the beginning of the 1800’s and was built by the turkish lord Ibraem. The architectural design was by a slave named Ahmet and it is said that in exchange he was granted his freedom. As the story goes, the workers were paid with cabbage and the lord very harsh and addicted to alcohol.
The Museum of Petrified Mammals in Kerasia, was opened in September 2006 and is the home to paleontological wealth of the surrounding area. In the excavations in Kerasia, petrified mammals that lived in Evia more than six million years were found. These findings, properly maintained by the University of Athens, are on exhibit to the public for the first time in a unique way.
The Natural History Museum of Istiaia, has a great collection of stuffed species (217 types of birds, a great number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, insects, fish, rocks, minerals, shells and seashells, etc), has begun the creation of the museum grounds, taking all the necessary measures to meet future demands.
The visitors to this museum has surpassed 10 000, without including the students from different schools.
This wonderful Folklore Museum has been developed by a small association of 52 people. The aim of the association is to find a more suitable property ( preferably a Neoclassical building), in order to accommodate all the exhibits which are presently found in a shop in the Kato Platano area of Istiaia.
The Historic and Folklore Museum in Limni began operating in the summer of 1993, after the generous donation towards the municipality of Limni by the late Limnian Ekaterini Evaggelinou-Flokou (descendant of a large and powerful nautical family), of a neoclassical estate. This estate was built around 1880, and donated solely for the purpose of the founding of a museum in Limni.
One of the most important historical – folkloric – and cultural oasis can without a doubt be the Folklore Museum of Agia Anna in North Evia which was founded by the late great Agia Annian folklorist Dimitris Settas.
The museum was opened on July 25, 1982 and till 2002 was functioning in rented premises. Following it was moved to a privately owned building, till today and was donated by Aggeliki Malamoy, in memory of her daughter Kristallia Diakomopoulou.
Outside the village of Agia Anna, three kilometers to the West, in a mountainous area we find the well-known ravine of “Boulovinaina”. History claims that during the Greek Revolution of 1821, a woman called Boulovinaina attempted to escape the Turks by falling into the Ravine which in turn took her name.
On the hill overlooking the town of Oreoi in North Evia, we can find the remains of the Castle of Oreoi. According to the myth, the hill is manmade, and was the work of thousands of workers bringing earth to this area. They had left two secret underground passages leading to the castle that were impossible to be found by the enemy. They themselves couldn’t locate the passages at night.
Just outside of the village of Neos Pyrgos we find a beautiful natural beach called Nisiotissa. Only a few meters away from the coastline is the tiny island (islet) with ruins on the higher grounds. These are ruins of a church from the Frankish rule as well as a tower built during the Ottoman Rule.
It is one of the most significant archeological sites in Evia. It can be found on the beach of Loutra Aidipsos. The findings that have been found there are many and important. They belong to the most ancient neolithical period (6th millennium BC) but also to later periods.